Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Why Ping?

The ping feature in iPhone version of Locomatix is neat! It’s easy to send and resend and it can replace the redundant calls that could annoy your friends.

Here’s my first hand experience with ping. The Bakers and my family planned to make a trip together to Pismo Beach this past Thanksgiving. We left in the afternoon to beat the holiday traffic and the Bakers were running behind because of their kids. So we decided to meet directly at the restaurant that we had picked for dinner. After waiting for an hour at the restaurant, I was thinking of calling the Bakers. But I didn't want to buzz their loud phone ringer in case the kids were sleeping, making the already stressed Bakers more miserable. In this situation the ping feature came in really handy. I sent a ping “Where are you” and immediately they pinged back resulting in both the parties sending out their location updates without a single call.

What's even better is that ping works directly of the data plan rather than using SMS, so I don't have to worry about ping eating into my SMS budget.

No comments:

Post a Comment